- Giving Performance Feedback (Reading time: 2 minutes)
- Just-in-time advice for conducting an effective faculty performance review.
- Building Effective Units (Reading time: 4 minutes)
- Understanding and Managing Teams (Reading time: 6 minutes)
- Just-in-time advice for working effectively with teams.
- Successful Practices for Performance Feedback (Reading time: 9 minutes – Executive Briefing)
- Tips and hints for conducting evaluations and providing feedback that will be honest, constructive, and most likely to be heard by those within your scope of responsibility.
- Performance Management: Annotated Bibliography (Reading time: 6 minutes – Resources for Further Reading)
- Selected books, research articles, and popular literature for those seeking deeper knowledge on the topic of performance management.
A department head conducts an annual performance review with a faculty member. The department head demonstrates some effectiveness in addressing goals and strategies for performance improvement. The head’s approach also highlights opportunities for improvement to his performance review process.
A department head talks to a staff member about her performance review. He has to navigate some unexpected developments, and creates a constructive outcome.
Michael Loui, Dale and Suzi Gallagher Professor at Purdue University, discusses the use of annual reviews.
Michael Loui, Dale and Suzi Gallagher Professor at Purdue University, touches on how to give negative feedback.
Sonya Stephens, President of Mount Holyoke College, offers ways to give feedback.
Joan Dubinsky, University of Illinois NCPRE Business Ethicist and Consultant, discusses how to give feedback.
Rob Rutenbar, Senior Vice Chancellor for Research at the University of Pittsburgh, discusses the effective transmission of feedback to a faculty member
Edward Feser, Provost & Executive Vice President at Oregon State University, talks about his approach giving feedback.
Richard Wheeler, former Provost at the University of Illinois, talks about working with people across campus to get feedback in solving a major crisis he faced as provost.
A discussion on how to have effective meetings in a department.